About Me

Texas, United States
I am a stay at home Mom from Oregon who has landed in Texas.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I {heart} yarn wreaths

When it comes to crafting sometimes I want something that is mindless, yet yields a fantastic project. Wrapping Styrofoam wreath forms in yarn fits that bill to a tee! There are so many pictures out there for inspiration. Googling yarn wreath brings thousands of images to choose from.

A few tips to make it easier on you.

1. Start with a basic plan of what you want your finished product to look like. I can't tell you how many forms I've wrapped in a pretty color of yarn thinking I could make something of nothing only to unwrap the whole thing because I couldn't figure out how to finish the darn thing! which leads to #2...

2. Don't be afraid to unwrap your wreath if you don't like how it looks!

3. Wrap that yarn TIGHT. I always do a nice tight layer and then go over it with a "sloppy" layer to give it a more textured look. This ensures that the form is nice and covered, and it gives the finished look a little character.
 4. Have fun and experiment. I saw a picture of this fourth of July wreath and I just went for it. No tutorial to guide me. I'm thrilled with how it turned out. (I wrapped 3/4 in white, 1/4 in blue, and did the red stripes on top, finishing off with buttons). With my ombre style wreath I knew what I wanted it to look like and I just tried different ways to create a fading effect that I was happy with. Next time I will do a few more single strands to symbolize the blending of the colors.
 5. Don't be afraid to accessorize! Hot glue is your friend (as well as how I start and stop my yarn wraps), it can help you put all sorts of baubles and trinkets, banners and flowers, whatever your heart desires on your wreath. The possibilities are seriously endless. Again google or pinterest are great for finding ideas!
6. Different textures create visual interest. I've found that using different thicknesses of yarn, and different fibers for my embellishments helps create depth and makes it fun!

7. Make something that makes you happy! Wreaths are pretty much only there for decoration, and why hang up something unless you love how it looks! Everyones tastes are different, so don't be afraid to make a custom wreath just for you. I love seeing a happy little wreath on my door every time I come home. Makes me smile!